This day in baseball: Naming Wrigley Field

In a Chicago Tribune article on December 3, 1926, the Cubs mentioned that Weeghman Park would now be known as Wrigley Field, in honor of club owner William Wrigley, Jr. The north side ballpark was originally named after the previous owner of team, Charles H. Weeghman, who had built the steel-and-concrete ballpark for the Chicago Whales.  Weeghman had moved the Cubs to the new venue after the two teams were merged under his ownership when the Federal League team folded.


Leave a Reply